What Damages Can I Recover with a First-Party Personal Injury Claim?

Avatar for Seva Law Firm

If you were hurt in a car wreck, you may be wondering how you can go about recovering compensation for your damages. In Michigan, if you were injured on the road, regardless of whether you were responsible for causing the accident or not, you can receive benefits from your own auto insurance that cover a variety of damages—as long as you did not opt out of the state’s Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.

However, you will only have a year from the day you were injured to file a claim, so it’s important to act quickly after the wreck. Let’s take a look at some of the types of damages that may be covered as part of a first-party personal injury claim:

1. Medical Expenses

From the initial visit to the emergency room and follow-ups to diagnostic imaging and lab tests, your medical expenses can add up rapidly after a serious wreck. Fortunately, as motorists in Michigan are required to purchase No-Fault coverage, many of your medical bills will be covered by PIP benefits. However, there is a cap—based on your policy limits—to how much this component of your auto insurance will cover.

2. Attendant Care

During your recovery, you might require nursing care at home to assist you with completing tasks that you can no longer tackle independently. Such activities can include personal hygiene, maneuvering around your property, and taking care of your other basic needs. If you can prove that such care is necessary, PIP benefits may reimburse you for such costs even if a family member assisted you with these tasks.

3. Replacement Services

After suffering a serious injury, you may be unable to perform certain tasks due to limitations stemming from your condition. For example, you might be unable to operate a vehicle, cook meals for your children, or take care of the household. In such situations, it’s common for someone else to step in and help oversee these responsibilities. Personal injury protection will usually provide compensation for any replacement services you required during your recovery. However, you will need to provide evidence of which tasks were completed each day and who oversaw these duties.

4. Lost Earnings

If you were unable to return to work due to your injuries, you may be able to recover compensation for the income you lost. Keep in mind, that you can only receive such benefits for the first three years after the accident. As such, if you suffered a permanent disability or long-term injury, you may need to file a third-party claim against the at-fault driver to recover the “excess”.

Discuss Your Situation with a Personal Injury Attorney in Detroit

Were you injured in a road wreck? Turn to our Detroit personal injury attorneys to discuss your situation. During the initial consultation, we can answer your questions, assess the evidence you’ve gathered thus far, and explain how we might approach your case.

At the Seva Law Firm, we’ve helped our clients recover more than $100 million in settlements and verdicts. To request a free case review, contact us today at (248) 385-5704 or complete our contact form HERE.